The Trip Within the Trip (Part I)

Posted by Afrojew2 | | Posted On Thursday, December 31, 2009 at 12:44 AM

I’m going to Hong Kong. Fuck money, right? As the infamous Zero Mostel said in one of my favorite movies, “If you’ve got it, flaunt it, baby, flaunt it!” So I’m going to Hong Kong. Financial stability be damned. Student loans, I piss on thee. Big trip that I’m trying to save for, I bit my thumb in your general direction… with a little less contempt. Three days off work for Christmas was a welcome break, but I caught a glimpse of what life would be like if I stayed in Korea over my long 18 day winter vacation: episode after episode of Dexter, with a few friendly visits sprinkled in. And probably a lot of drinking and spending money on drinking. On Monday, back at school, after a five minute walk in -10 degree C weather (that’s about 10 degrees F for you US folk) with the added comfort of an ever present wind, I decided it was better for my mental health to get out for a while.

Top choices: Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand. Too expensive. Second choices: Philippines, Shanghai. One was too expensive, the other requires a visa I don’t have time to get. Also, it’s cold in Shanghai. Then I stumbled upon Hong Kong. Having its own government, Hong Kong does not require a visa for entry, and neither does this interesting looking Portuguese settlement nearby called Macau. I had talked about Hong Kong with a friend I used to work with long before leaving, and I remembered thinking it sounded cool. Bonus, or should I say, determining factor: it’s about 60 degrees F there at the moment. And there’s beaches. And mountains. And islands. Not to mention a bustling commercial center around which live seven million people. Oh, and the flight is cheap.

It was not easy to book the flight. Air China’s website wouldn’t work, the Air China office in Seoul closed 15 minutes before I got there (after over an hour on the subway). But finally Expedia came through for me. I’m leaving in four days and I’ll be gone for ten. This is definitely going to be the most spontaneous trip I’ve ever taken. Let’s hope it turns out well.

Comments:

There are 1 comments for The Trip Within the Trip (Part I)

Post a Comment

who I am

My photo


Who I am is a man with a plan.
A master of disguise with his eyes on the prize.
A lean, mean traveling machine,
Who always goes for it but loves to blow off steam.
I’ve been living in the past and coming up last,
So now I’m looking to the future where I’m sure to have a blast.
I’m a yes man who doesn’t just say no,
I like to take my time unless I’ve got somewhere to go.
I’m easy going, easy to please,
Easy on the eyes, but tough to read.
I pluck my strings to the rhythm and blues,
And belt it out when I find my muse.
Nobody’s perfect but I strive for greatness.
The shoe never fits as I wander aimless.
I have an open heart, an open mind
Which opens doors I seek to find.
So open up and open wide,
It's open season on this journey of mine.
Get in line, I’m a sight to see.
I hope you feel better,
Now that you know me.