The Island and the Incomprable

Posted by Afrojew2 | | Posted On Thursday, October 1, 2009 at 4:40 AM

Oh boy, so much to catch up on. In the blog-o-sphere I’m still in Seattle. In real life I’m halfway ‘round the world. My last few days in Seattle were unforgettable, so let’s start with the aquarium.



Tom, Lizzy, Jory and I went to see the fishies and otters and were surprised by a rare viewing of an octopus feeding. Strangely enough I ate octopus today. It was the school lunch. Anyway, the day on the waterfront with the family was great. The next day Jory and I went downtown, had some amazing curry, and then separated so that I could tour the Seattle public library and take a nice ferry ride.

For those of you who don’t know, my biggest fear is of large bodies of water. I love the beach, but not the ocean. I love islands, but not the trip across the drink. I’ve been getting better over the years, and this ride certainly helped. I wasn’t on water, I was on a huge moving landmass. I was amazed how it was able to dock so precisely. Bainbridge Island was the destination; a small, upscale island about a half hour across the Puget Sound. There I participated in my first wine tasting. What an experience. I had some great conversations with two middle aged couples who had just reached the tipsy stage. I also learned all about swirling, smelling, and gurgling wine from the incredibly nice bartender. Maybe I like wine after all.



After that I went searching for a lake park I had heard about but no one on the island seemed to know. Some helpful island folk pointed me in the right direction and I eventually made it to the park where I found trails that were unmarked and slightly unnerving to be walked alone, so I turned back. Those same locals recommended the Harbor Pub for dinner and let me tell you… you should go to Seattle for that meal alone. Overlooking the harbor, with a view of the Seattle skyline through a field of white masts I scarfed down, but thoroughly enjoyed, an incredible crab melt with artichoke sauce. I can still taste it. (If you’re beginning to notice a pattern, you’re right. I LOVE FOOD!) After that I caught the night ferry back and got to watch this coming at me for 30 minutes… bliss.



For my last two days in Seattle I was underground and under a spell. Jory and I took a tour of the Seattle underground, where the city used to be before it was raised to fix sewage disposal problems. It was spooky, sarcastic, satirical, and scintillating. The following day was Danny Schmidt. I took the whole family out for a night with one of the great Charlottesville musicians who just happened to be playing in Seattle the night before I left. He moved me just as much that night, after countless shows, even singing with a cold, as he did when I first saw him.

I have gained a good deal of confidence recently, which probably was the driving force behind introducing myself to the incomparable songwriter, something I never did in Charlottesville. Something about amazing musicians intimidates the hell out of me. Regardless, after the show I approached and told him I was leaving for South Korea in the morning and that I couldn’t ask for a better way to spend my last night in the US, entangled in family, lyrics, love, and melody. I think he understood my sincerity. Thomas and Lizzy were true champs, taking in and enjoying music well past their bedtimes, and Jory and Chris also had a great time. It was a fitting end to an amazing trip, and I hope the whole family enjoyed their time with me as much as I did with them.

The next day I crossed an ocean.

p.s. Korea is coming. I find with this blog I am living in the past. I’ve got to fix my flux capacitor before I can get back to the future. Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow. Keep a watchful eye. Here’s a little teaser…



Comments:

There are 2 comments for The Island and the Incomprable

Post a Comment

who I am

My photo


Who I am is a man with a plan.
A master of disguise with his eyes on the prize.
A lean, mean traveling machine,
Who always goes for it but loves to blow off steam.
I’ve been living in the past and coming up last,
So now I’m looking to the future where I’m sure to have a blast.
I’m a yes man who doesn’t just say no,
I like to take my time unless I’ve got somewhere to go.
I’m easy going, easy to please,
Easy on the eyes, but tough to read.
I pluck my strings to the rhythm and blues,
And belt it out when I find my muse.
Nobody’s perfect but I strive for greatness.
The shoe never fits as I wander aimless.
I have an open heart, an open mind
Which opens doors I seek to find.
So open up and open wide,
It's open season on this journey of mine.
Get in line, I’m a sight to see.
I hope you feel better,
Now that you know me.